Melanie's Mojo Pork
- 4 lbs whole pork shoulder or pork butt
- 1½ to 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ¾ cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- zest of 1 orange
- zest of 1 lime
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro (lightly packed)
Using a paring knife, make a few slits all over the surface of the pork. Place the pork and the rest of the ingredients (except the salt and pepper) in a container and marinate overnight (4 hours minimum).
Season the pork with salt and black pepper. In a large pan add olive oil and brown the pork on all sides over medium-high heat.
Add the marinade to the slow cooker. Place the pork in the slow cooker and cook on high for 5 to 6 hours or on low for 8 to 10 hours. (Low is better.)
Let rest 10 minutes, shred the meat, and serve with the juices from the slow cooker.