Jamaican Stewed Oxtail
This recipe is from Marilyn's helper Monica, who owned a restaurant in Jamaica.
- 3 lbs oxtail including bone - cut into 2" pieces
- 14 oz can butter beans
- 2 carrots – sliced in ½ and cut into 1" pieces
- 2 plum tomatoes – peeled and cut into 1" pieces
- 1 onion – cut into thin long strips about ¼" wide
- 2 scallions – cut into 2" pieces and slightly crushed
- ½ green or red bell pepper – cut into ½" pieces
- ¼ scotch bonnet pepper - diced
- 4 large garlic cloves – diced
- 1 Tbl butter
- 1½ Tbs fresh rough chopped ginger – ⅛" pieces
- 3 branches fresh thyme
- 1 tsp JCS brand browning caramel
- 4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbs ketchup
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 3-4 Tbl JCS brand Jamaican curry powder
- 1½ tsp JCS brand oxtail & stew seasoning
- ½ tsp Badia brand garlic and parsley powder
- ½ tsp McCormick roasted garlic and herbs
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- 2 tsp Angel brand whole allspice (AKA pimento, pimenta, Jamaica pepper)
Combine all ingredients except beans, carrots, butter, Worcestershire sauce, and ketchup in roasting pan, cover pan with foil, and bake in oven at 375º.
After 2 hours, add beans, carrots, butter, Worcestershire sauce, and ketchup and continue cooking until carrots are soft.
Note: Ingredients can be purchased from most Caribbean markets.