This recipe is from a small hotel and restaurant in Austria which Steve and Melanie stayed at as Phil and Sig Tiedtkies' guests in 2002.
- 5 kg beef flank (cut into large pieces - 2” cubes)
- 2½ kg onions (diced)
- 1 Anaheim (medium hot) green pepper (diced)
- 1 cup red/yellow/green sweet bell peppers (diced)
- 1 tomato (diced)
- 1 head garlic (chopped)
- 2 dried hot red chili peppers (diced)
- 1½ cups sweet paprika
- 3 Tbs caraway seed (powdered or whole)
- ¼ cup salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil (do not use olive oil)
Add oil to large pot and heat. Brown onions and dried chili peppers over high heat until onions are light brown.
Add meat and brown mixing occasionally. Add sweet bell peppers and Anaheim pepper and cook for another 10 minutes.
Sprinkle paprika over meat. Mix slightly to coat meat but to not allow paprika to reach bottom of pot. Cook mixture until a total of 1 hour has passed. Add salt and cook another 10 minutes.
Mix in tomato and garlic. Add water as needed so that meat pieces are sticking up slightly from the surface of the liquid and cook for another 1 hour. Continue to add water as needed to maintain liquid level.
Just before serving, add 1 bottle of dry red wine and cook another 5 minutes.