Melanie's Red Gazpacho
- 5 large tomatoes - peeled, seeded and ground
- 2 Serrano peppers - finely minced
- 1 head garlic - finely minced
- 3 cucumbers - peeled and seeded (2 ground – 1 diced)
- 1 red bell pepper - seeded (½ ground – ½ diced)
- 1 red onion - peeled (¼ ground - ¾ diced)
- 5 ripe but slightly firm avocados - diced in ¼" cubes
- 2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbs medium-acid red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tbs chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 4 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro
- 4½ cups chicken stock
- Tomato paste - as needed (usually 1 Tbs)
- 3 Tbs sugar
- ½ cup best quality olive oil
- ground black pepper
Press the portion of the vegetables to be ground through a meat grinder. Dice the remaining portions for texture. Combine all of the vegetables in a large bowl. Add the stock, lemon juice, and vinegar and stir very briefly. Stir in the fresh herbs and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Depending on the sweetness and strength of the tomatoes, tomato paste and more sugar can be added for thickness and to strengthen the tomato flavor.
Chill the soup for at least one hour before serving. Remove from the refrigerator, stir, let rest for 15 minutes and then pour the olive oil over the soup and stir.