Steve's Cold Cucumber Soup
- 4 lbs mini-cucumbers (a.k.a. Persian cucumbers)
- 4 oz red onion
- ½ jalapeno pepper (to taste)
- ¾ cup yogurt
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup whole milk buttermilk
- ½ cup mint jelly *
- 3 Tbl reduced balsamic vinegar **
- 2 Tbl lemon juice
- 1 Tbl fresh garlic - chopped
- 5 Tbl fresh dill - chopped
- 1 Tbl fresh tarragon - chopped
- 1½ Tbl fresh basil - chopped
- 7 Tbl fresh mint - chopped
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary - very finely chopped
- ¾ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 1½ tsp salt
* Reese's mint jelly is the best brand for this. Make sure that the jelly is actual mint jelly and not mint flavored apple jelly.
** Kirkland balsamic vinegar is the best brand for this. In a large flat pan reduce 6 Tbl by one-half to produce 3 Tbl of reduced balsamic.
Cut cucumbers in half the long way and remove seeds with a spoon. (It is important to remove the seeds so that the soup will not be watery.)
Cut cucumbers, jalapeno and onion into small pieces. Be careful with the jalapeno adding a little at a time. Some jalapeno peppers are much stronger than others.
Blend all ingredients for several minutes in a food processor.
Refrigerate overnight. This is necessary to allow time for the flavors to blend properly. After refrigerating overnight there will be a big difference in the flavor.