Steve's Chicken with Mushroom Shallot Cream Sauce
- 4 Tbs butter (Irish salted butter)
- 4 Tbs olive oil
- 6 shallots (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (finely-chopped)
- 3 lbs white mushrooms (cut into halves)
- 1 cup Madeira
- 2 cups Sweet Vermouth
- 2 cups white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock (Swanson’s)
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 2 Tbs fresh tarragon (chopped)
- 2 tsp fresh thyme (chopped)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp ground white pepper
- 2 6.6 oz boxes Near East brand rice pilaf mix with toasted almond
- 1 6 oz box Gourmet House Minnesota Cultivated wild rice
- 8 chicken leg quarters
- Lawry's seasoned salt
- 4 Tbs chives (snipped into ¼ inch pieces)
Sauce: Melt butter and oil in skillet. Add shallots and garlic and cook over low heat until soft but not brown. Add mushrooms, raise heat and cook until most of the liquid evaporates. Add Madeira and reduce. Then add wine and vermouth and repeat reducing process. Add chicken stock, tarragon, thyme, bay leaf, and white pepper and reduce again. Add cream and reduce until sauce has thickened. Add salt to taste.
Rice pilaf and wild rice: Make rice pilaf and wild rice according to directions on box adding ½ tsp salt to the water for the rice pilaf. Cook wild rice for additional 15 minutes with lid on until extra soft. Cook rice pilaf additional 15 minutes on low heat in non-stick pot with lid off until grains are dry and separate easily. Mix rice pilaf and wild rice and fluff.
Chicken: Sprinkle chicken leg quarters with seasoned salt. Fry in oil deep enough to almost cover chicken. Fry legs in hot oil on both sides until skin is browned. Then turn down heat and continue cooking for another 10 minutes.
Place chicken leg on plate with rice. Cover chicken with sauce. Sprinkle snipped chives over chicken and rice.